Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Drop of Reason

Here comes the orator! With his flood of words, and his drop of reason.
Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack

I have decided to create a space where I can iterate my ongoing thoughts about the current state of education in the United States. Frequently among my closer circles of colleagues I have said that it would appear that the only solution for the current mismanagement of our school system would be for a revolution to occur. As I was beginning the creation of this blog and searching for a proper namesake, I thought of the revolutionaries who formed, from the salts of the earth, our great country. I sought wisdom from an ever fruitful source in Benjamin Franklin, and I found this quote to be subtle and appropriate for my way of thinking.

My intention for this blog is to nurture and cultivate a burgeoning philosophy towards a reparation of the ills that are plaguing our system of teaching and learning. A revolution in education.

At this point the notions of this revolt are still but a babe, but more and more I have felt their roots taking hold, so that powerful ideas are pushing towards the sun. Ideas such as:
  • Recently, my eyes have been opened to the importance of technology and innovation in the classrooms of tomorrow.
  • For too long too many educators have ignored the elephant in the room that is testing. More and more our years worth of work is boiled down to one mark from one watered down assessment.
  • Imagination is being stifled, ingenuity lost, children are buried, and though everyone bears the same furrowed brows, none have yet had the courage to be that one small voice to call out into the void.

And so here I am... tossing a drop of reason into the void. Trusting that one person can work to bring about a change in a world where it can be so easy to feel insignificant.

1 comment:

ksports9 said...

I concur with the need to have a revolution. I am concerned about the creativity of students being pushed aside for the sake of a test that shows nothing about the student.
Where have the opportunities for dance, art, drama, woodshop, or mechanical drawing gone? Oh, we can't afford them? well great, at least we can afford the stifling of creativity in the minds of the future! It's no wonder we are not at the top of our game anymore. We have fallen to measuring ourselves against others rather than forging a path to greatness.
I am in on the revolution, Nate. It began with one...now there are two drops in the bucket!